Sunday, March 31, 2013

83


                  


I don't even know where to begin.
I believe strongly in God's divine intervention and I feel extremely blessed to have witnessed that tonight.
Unknowingly, I attended a dinner tonight with my parents where I had little expectation as to what I was going to experience, little did I know that I was going to sit by a dear old man that would bless me with words of wisdom, experience, enlightenment, and encouragement that could spread out and last a lifetime.
As we began to small talk, I could tell that Ed and I had an immediate bond and he immediately began to describe to me all the ways that God has worked in and through him in his lifetime. From his travel across 23 countries to his service in our small little community in Washington, I realized early on that I was blessed to be in his presence and decided to embrace all of the wisdom he so eagerly poured into me with his soft spoke words.
Beyond the fact that doctors told him at the age of 34 that he would be paralyzed from the waist down for the rest of his life and he refused to believe them and became fully mobile in a years time, I was amazed at this man's outlook on life. Now retired, he chuckled at me when he asked if I knew what he majors in now. After I laughed off a guess, he told me that he not only majors in experience but also in encouragement and that he has devoted the rest of his life to encourage young people like me to recognize how important we are and how God can use us. I think that this outlook on life, the idea of not sitting back and relaxing in retirement but furthering the kingdom through encouragement, is something that will stick with me from this night on.
I had several moments tonight after Ed would continue to pat me on the shoulder and say "God bless you sweet girl with the beautiful smile." that I wanted to snapshot and remember for future experiences.  I am hoping that when I do need encouragement, when I need a little perserverance push, that 83-year-old Ed will pop in my mind and remind me what life is all about. In Ed's words, "Kaleen, it's all about love and joy, if you use those two things to serve people, you will be unstoppable."


Ed and I exchanged numbers on our Iphones tonight, yes Ed had an Iphone.
We planned to get lunch together when I am back home this summer and catch up on what we see God doing in our lives.


I cannot wait.


1 comment:

  1. Love this Kaleen, this is great. We all need some Ed in our lives!

    ReplyDelete